Monday, May 9, 2011

Dance to the Music

Hey yall,
I am taking this months blog to talk a little bit about a little thing called FUNK. I recently started a facebook page for a collaborative music discussion project with Kris Tavis. The start if which is Sly and the Family Stone. the second will be George Clinton and the Parliment Funkadelic, and the end will consist of TV on the Radio. TV on the Radio is not strictly a funk group per se, but has plenty of funk and soul to be totally relevant to the discussion.

For the sake of brevity I will talk more about the genre and leave the individual groups for later.
What makes funk music great? Versatility and fun! It can make you dance, think, F***, smile, and laugh. People like sly and George Clinton fill their music with positive vibes and take you on a mental and spiritual journey. With their music, racial and gender borders become irrellivent. Musical insturmentation goes beyond the 3-5 musician standard of most pop music (at a P-funk show I saw 50 + people on stage at one time).
All I can say is go on that journey and dance to the music!

No comments:

Post a Comment